Thursday, April 14, 2011

[ES2007S] Blog Post #5: A Reflection on My Oral Presentation

My team, Coordonner Les, did an oral presentation on our proposal for a study room in the center of neighbourhood clusters to cater to the needs of students plagued with distractions in the area.

On the day before the presentation, we met up to familiarise with our parts for the presentation. It was not easy for me to know my part very well within such a short period of time, but with the help and encouragements of my teammates, I was able to do so. In addition, our rehearsals were recorded for us to listen to when we got home that day.

Even as of just a few hours before our presentation, we were still editing our presentation slides. In the end, the slides were simple enough to prevent information overload and yet impactful enough to show the audience the need to solve the problem.

During the presentation itself, I felt like a different person altogether, relative to my peer teaching session and my mock presentation. I managed to deliver my points clearly without pausing too much to recall my parts. I also succeeded to some extent in connecting with my audience through a continuous effort to establish eye contact with them as evenly as possible.

However, I can tell that there is still room for improvement in many areas. My eye contact can be improved upon further. Also, I should avoid depending too much on my memory but instead know my proposal well enough to present it impromptu in order to make it more natural.

Overall, the presentation went well, being able to show the prevalence of the problem clearly and persuade the audience that our proposal is the simplest yet most effective solution to this problem.

7 comments:

  1. Kenneth!! You were great!! =)) During the presentation, I really thought you stepped out of your own comfort zone and tried something totally different and I'm super impressed with the result! You're really becoming one good speaker! Also, its been really funny working with you!

    Hi-5 COORDONNER LES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenneth!

    It's a great improvement already! haha! You managed to minimise the 'errrms', distracting hand actions during the presentation, and take away the sheepish smile for most parts! Must have been a colossal task, but I'm so proud that you made it! Remember what you have learnt in this module, and it'll bring you far into the future! Be independent, think creative (out of the box), and continue to be willing to do carry out 'boring' tasks. Haha..

    Hope that you have learnt a little bit more of how to lead a team through this project. =) Great job Kenneth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kenneth! Thank you for the presentation and sharing of your personal experience.

    I think you have improved alot for your eye contact from the mock interview session. :) Last thursday, I see you as being very confident to present in the class. Though I could sense that you are nervous initially, you still managed to present well after all. Me too! I was nervous too. haha... so its normal.

    I think you can try to improve on your presentation skills by relating it like a story. For one of the slides of your presentation, you seemed to memorise one of the sentence. I will suggest you to memorise the main keypoints of that sentence and relate it in your own words. It will easier for you and makes your presentation more natural.

    Really impressed with your presentation and your hardwork to improve yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kenneth!

    Being in the same peer teaching group as you previously, I've definitely seen how much you've grown and improved over the past few weeks! You're confidence has grown since then, and you had a really comfortable pace during your presentation. Although there were some awkward pauses here and there, I think the overall delivery was good!

    Well done, and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kenneth, I felt you did a great job during the OP as compared to your peer teaching. Your lines were delivered smoothly and there were not many pauses which I thought were good. Have more confidence Kenneth and keep working on maintaining good eye contact with others and I'm sure future presentations will be a breeze. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ken! Your team did well on the presentation. The flow of the whole OP is nice, the direction is so clear that it was like knife through butter and the transition from on speaker to another is well managed too. The good use of photos of the actual venues helped to bring the whole idea close to reality and that became a major factor in convincing the audience.

    Your improvement in presentation is evident. I think you deserve the ‘most improvement’ award. You were a lot more fluent, have less pauses and the eye contact was great. Weekd ago, your eyes tend to ‘fly’ around as you speak. However, you are able to stabilize your gaze and ‘channel’ the gaze properly to the audience.

    Now that you are able to give eye contact, you can move on to the next level of engaging the audience with eye contact. Engaging will need you to inject more liveliness into your gaze. The best way to go it is to light the passion within you and it will all flow out naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kenneth,

    I could see that you made a conscientious effort to improve your presentation skills and it has definitely paid off. Your presentation was very much better than the dry run and you managed to present your argument in a very persuasive manner. However, it would be good if you had spoken more naturally as it was clear that during some parts you had memorized what you planned to say. Overall, I am really impressed by how much you have grown as a professional communicator.

    Keep it up bro!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete