Tuesday, April 19, 2011

[ES2007S] Blog Post #6: Final Reflection

It seemed like yesterday when I stepped into the classroom for my first session for this module. I was quite clueless on what to expect and did not know most of my classmates.


Now, after twelve weeks of lessons, the module has come to an end, along with the semester. Looking back, I could see that I have learnt many skills which are unlikely to be learnt in a life science course.


One of the most important skills which I learnt is to listen actively, being aware of the feedback which the other party may give, both verbal and nonverbal. By doing so, I am able to find out if I need to make any changes to either what I am saying or how I am delivering the message, in order to ensure the message is conveyed successfully. This is important for me to be understood by others, especially in the future when I am working.


I was also given a chance to work in many different groups throughout this course for different assignments. Through these, I learnt that I need to adapt to the needs of the group in order for the assignments to be done efficiently. Some of the assignments were not only challenging, but also require a lot of time to complete. Nonetheless, the assignments were done well and completed on time. However, I believe that I would have benefited even more from this course, especially from both the blogging and the Facebook page, if my other modules this semester were less demanding.


Lastly, I have formed bonds with many friends throughout this course. Although the module has ended and some of them are graduating after this semester, I am confident that the bonds and memories formed will live on.

6 comments:

  1. WHY DID YOU POST ONLY SO LATE?? LIDDAT HOW PEOPLE COMMENT ON YOUR POST?????

    haha.. I'll be the first. First, just wanna say that I'm privileged to be in the same group as you. Somehow, even though our characters are quite different, we have (a teeny weeny bit of) chemistry. I must say that there had been points where I had been frustrated because you did not know how to do 'stuff', but your honesty, willingness to learn and efforts had won me over. Just by the simple action of asking "Shall I upload these" already is very comforting, because you have learnt how to show a certain amount of initiative, which was not really present when our group first formed.

    That aside, thanks for being my stats buddy. Haha. I know the portion of my brain in charge of stats is underdeveloped, so I thank you because you can always give me timely advice when I need it the most (Monday nights).

    Moving away from this course, I do hope that you continue to grow in the aspect of searching for answers (but not get carried away by the act of searching for it), willingness to learn, and ESPECIALLY in the arena of initiative. There are many things that would make a team member good. But if you want to be a great member, initiative is paramount. Waiting for the team leader to tell you exactly what to do is not going to value add to the team. Rather, think about it, and tell the team leader what you can do for the team, and let the team leader decide on the relevant course of action. To learn this, I think you should continue hanging out more with Ben (our 2103 lecture Ben) or Yu Tian. Haha.. I'm sure they'll be able to teach you much in this area.

    K, I'm going to do my stats cheat sheet. Haha.. All the best for studying eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kenneth!!

    Just as the cow (i assume you've figured who by now) forced me at gunpoint to take this module, i hope that i've been a little more subtle at that. I am thankful that you've decided to embark on this journey with me.

    Through this course, i've really seen you grown more confident of yourself and, like Edwin mentioned, gained more initiative. You've certainly learnt to speak publicly with more fluent speech, and you've been able to react better to verbal and nonverbal cues.

    I believe that these skills will not stop development upon completion of this module - but will continue to be developed throughout your professional occupation as a student, and beyond.

    Thanks once again for being such a great friend in this module!! All the best for your exams!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kenneth! I see you as a more confident person now! Keep it up!

    I can still remember that the first time where I have most interaction with you is during the mock interview; Uttara, Edwin and I had to play the bad guys. Since then, I have seen that you have improved in your eye contact by alot! Always believe in yourself!

    All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kenneth, for another fine post. I like the way you address this reflection to a couple main take away points and then how you detail those. As you also know by now, I was particularly moved by the great strides you made in presenting. Thanks for that fine effort.

    Like Edwin, I was impressed also by the way you opened up and progressed throughout the term. The willingness to listen to others, especially when they are giving critical feedback, is not a given for any of us. We often have to swallow our pride. But you did this and internalized the critical feedback, and then benefitted in the process. That makes my job so much easier--and more rewarding as I see the changes firsthand.

    All the best for your future learning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What time will you be going over to school? =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Edwin:

    I am already in NUS now. Central Library, 6th Floor. I am currently typing comments on your blog. I know it is quite last minute, but it is better than nothing! What time will you be reaching NUS then?

    ReplyDelete